Probiotics for Dogs: A Closer Look
This site strives to offer helpful content to its visitors. Please be advised that we accept advertising compensation from companies that appear on the site, and referral fees if you purchase using our referral links. Company listings on this page DO NOT imply endorsement.
In our previous post, we covered microbiome testing kits which show you if your pup has a healthy gut and what to do about it if they don’t. You can check that out here.
In this post, we’re going to continue on the topic of gut health by diving into some useful probiotic supplements that aid in digestion, support optimal gut health, and the immune system.
Just like humans, much of our pup’s immune system is located in his or her gut, the largest immune organ in the body.
Keeping the gut running smoothly is the ticket to making sure your pup stays healthy and happy. If your dog is stressed or sick, it could be a sign that the healthy and disease-causing bacteria in the gut is out of balance, which can lead to gas, bad breath, cramping, or diarrhea.
Thankfully, there’s an easy solution to maintaining a healthy microbiome for your pet; taking a daily probiotic supplement. Probiotics are one of the simplest ways to support digestive health and are well researched and proven to be effective.
We’ve rounded up the best probiotic supplements for dogs that’ll combat any upset stomach or added stress. If you’re planning on enrolling your pup in training classes, switching their environment due to a family move, or any other potentially stressful situation, consider the following probiotics that can alleviate their anxiety and keep their bodies up and running.
The Best Probiotics for Dogs
NomNomNow isn’t just a clever name; this leading fresh pet food company created a line of high quality probiotics with the help of board-certified veterinary nutritionist, Dr. Justin Shmalberg and their own veterinary nutrition and microbiology team. And by the way, Dr. Shmalberg isn’t just a name on their site; the practicing veterinarian, and professor of veterinary medicine is one of 100 board-certified veterinary nutritionists in the country who specializes in pet nutrition and education.
- Each bottle is full of 20 billion live cultures and ‘strains specifically derived from healthy dogs’
- Each NomNomNow batch is tested independently to ensure the quality of their ingredients
- Just add a single scoop to your dog’s food (no matter their size) once a day for optimum results
If you need proof of quality, Purina’s Pro Plan supplement garnered thousands of positive reviews. This formula does many things well, like increases the levels of beneficial bacteria, reduces gas, and contains a guaranteed level of live microorganisms.
So why else do pet owners love this formula?
- Trusted by professionals; Purina is the #1 probiotic brand prescribed by veterinarians for promoting a healthy immune system
- Each box contains supplements with probiotics that restore healthy intestinal microflora
- Effective at clearing up acute issues–like diarrhea or soft stool–fast
- Each box comes with 30 easy to use packets (one serving per day)
3. Pet Ultimates Probiotics
Though many products have limited bacteria strains, Pet Ultimates Probiotics contains two billion colony forming units per scoop (the bacteria that promotes a healthy digestive system and healthy skin). This formula also doesn’t have any sugars, grain maltodextrins, or harmful “animal digests.” Sprinkle a scoop into your dog’s food each day and watch them reclaim their vitality.
- Their custom formula includes 22 healthy species as well as an added enzyme for gassiness. This formula prevents mucosal inflammation, infections by yeast, and other toxic bacteria
- Pet Ultimates made their formula with your pet in mind, skipping tablet forms for easily digestible powers and fresh batches
- All products are made in a certified GMP lab in the U.S.
- One unique aspect to Pet Ultimates is their 90 days money back guarantee, so if you’re unhappy with the results, rest assured they also want you to do right by your pup
4. Nusentia Probiotic Miracle
Looking more more bang for your buck, but refuse to skimp on quality? The original probiotics for dogs has 360 scoops inside, which is 12x more servings than other leading brands. Nusentia’s probiotics are also heavily recommended by veterinarians for promoting a lifetime of healthy gut bacteria. Another thing we like is the formula doesn’t have any rice, maltodextrin, soy, fillers, dairy, flavorings, and byproducts. Also, each batch is Gluten-Free, Non-GM0, and odorless.
- Customers have a 100% money back guarantee for 60 days
- Nusentia has spent over 10 years perfecting their formulas
- 6 probiotic species that blend well together
Regardless of breed or age, PetVitalityPRO will help your pup get their gastrointestinal tract back in order. It is especially good for dogs with gastrointestinal disorders (experiencing symptoms such as gas, constipation, malabsorption, or diarrhea), dogs with allergies, dogs on steroid treatments, skin and coat issues, energy loss, aging dogs, puppies going through training, or dogs experiencing any form of stress. PetVitality’s formula has been tested to boost the immune system, provide your dog with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that help increase absorption, restore the digestive tract after antibiotics, and a whole host of other positive effects.
- All products are made in the US
- Each batch is microbiologically tested in a third party lab to make sure its safe for your dog
- Always produced in small batches so purity, safety, and freshness is never compromised
No matter which probiotic you choose, making probiotics a daily part of your pups routine will only benefit your loyal pet. And though most branding focuses on gut health, if you need that extra push to get your dog started, consider their brain; the gut is filled with nerve cells, which supports brain function, and additionally, studies have shown that probiotics also synthesize important chemicals like serotonin. So whether you’re out to heal their intestine or support brain function, one dose a day not only keeps the vet away, but makes for a healthier and happier pet overall.